Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Let me introduce myself

My name is Mireenae Lee. Hard to pronounce? Just call me "Mi"--pronounced like the first pronoun "me". It actually means galaxy or Milky Way in Korean.

I currently live in Southern California where I'm currently pursuing a teaching credential and masters in education. After graduating college in 2010 with a bachelor's in English and Art History, I spent two years teaching English abroad in South Korea. There, I discovered that I loved teaching and I returned to the states to pursuing teaching as a career.

I hope to become a high school English teacher.

If you've ever read Helen Keller's biography, The Story of My Life, you may recall that famous scene when Anne Sullivan holds Helen's hand under the water pump to feel the water while spelling out w-a-t-e-r onto her palm. The moment that Helen finally makes the connection between the water and the letters, a new light shone upon her face and the world opened to her.

The famous scene from the movie "the Miracle Worker" (1962) based on the life of Helen Keller.

If you've ever taught, you know what moment Helen Keller is talking about. And it is moments like these that make teaching worthwhile.

I want to be a teacher because I want to be a part of that experience. I want to be there to guide and to help students discover the world around them.

I want to be there to help the discover the beauty of Shakespeare's Sonnets and the insidious darkness of Huxley's vision.

I want to be there because each time I see that light go on over a students head, it's like I'm discovering that knowledge and understanding for the first time myself once again.

Taking a picture with my students during the school festival in South Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment